Considering the effects trees and gardens have on reducing temperatures and providing wildlife habitat the answer is a resounding ….NO!
Trees can reduce temperatures by an average of 10 Degrees Celcius, that’s cheaper than air-conditioning and better for the climate.
Cities create their own microclimates by influencing the surrounding atmosphere and interacting with climate processes.
The most striking characteristic of an urban microclimate is the urban heat island (UHI) effect. Urban areas become significantly warmer than surrounding areas when there is less green cover and more hard surfaces which absorb, store and radiate heat. – AdaptNSW, NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment
See my top tips below…. and if you need any further help, ring Angela on 0416397258 for expert advice on Urban and Rural Design.
My Top Drought-Proof your Garden Tips
- SHOWER: Have a cool shower with your indoor pot plan!
- WATER TANKS: Install water tanks to store runoff…..many sizes and capacities for small to large spaces
- DRIP IRRIGATION: Drip irrigation from your local irrigation shop … they can give expert advice on what to buy and DIY.
- MULCH AND MORE MULCH: The best type to use is leaf mulch like the forest floor, as it has leaves, twigs and chips. Just wood chip can cause ‘nitrogen draw down’ in plants, so you then spend lots of money fertilising!
- WETTING AGENTS: Wetting agents – either granules or wetting solution from your local hardware store.
- SYDNEY WATER: LOOK up Sydney Water’s website for the do’s and don’ts of the current water restrictions for your landscape garden Sydney
The best way to drought proof your garden is to have it professionally designed. In the design process we can integrate all of the above tips and more to provide a fully customised solution to your property. For a consultation Email OR ring Angela at URBAN AND RURAL DESIGN on 0416397258 to discuss your landscape design or horticulture needs.
We have experienced Landscape Architects, Horticulturists and Consulting Arborists ready to assist you with design and construction of your urban or rural landscape, travelling to the country and metropolitan areas in NSW, Victoria and Southern Queensland.